Saturday, October 24, 2015

Relativity



Recently, I've been consumed with the idea that there are potentially billions of other people in the world who are just as or more convicted in their religious or spiritual beliefs than I am. I don't feel the need to discuss or defend the strength of my personal beliefs here, I am simply playing devil's advocate (coincidence?) and entertaining the idea that there are many muslims or jews or (fill in the blank) who also have undeniable spiritual experiences that have changed them to their cores--experiences that have driven those believers for lifetimes, and usually for good. So why is my spiritual experience and testimony more correct than theirs? I believe that it is, but if the strength of my conviction is based solely on emotions I have felt at times, it is hard for me to argue in toddler fashion that "I felt it stronger than you!" and get away with it and maintain any real sense of self respect.

It has to be deeper than that.

3 comments:

  1. This is a very insightful post, Jordan. Faith is shown in various ways, as we witness through the hundreds and thousands of religions and worship around the world. It's interesting to look at how each worships. I took a world religions class last semester and learned a lot about expressing faith and how we don't need to express it the exact same as everyone else or even compare. We can know for ourselves that what we believe is true and share it but what others express does not have to mean the same to us. It's amazing learning about the different religions and means of worship that coexist all around us. Our world is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that emotions shouldn't be the only factor by which to measure correctness of a belief. Many parts of truth are found in many beliefs. I like to keep in mind the measurement that Moroni teaches: whatever is true, must invite and motivate us to do good, to believe in God, and to serve with love. That, in the end, will bring us happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has always been something I've thought about as well. It's the great paradox of life. No matter how sure we are that we are right, we won't find out till we die. How's that for a happy thought?

    ReplyDelete